Holidays Away from Home

On November 23 I drove to the home of my friend. It was decided when my family chose to host the Thanksgiving of my extended family in our house. These people don't like me for no reason other then my existence. I couldn't spend another holiday surrounded by hate. This was the first year I was able to make the choice for myself to try to find peace and love on this day.

This is a road leading away from my their house in Lorane Oregon; we headed to Cottage Grove early on the morning of the 24th; for our first "dinner" that was planned to begin at noon. It was a bit perplexing that someone had two families that wanted them around for the day. The trees line the winding road hinting to the journey that is about to begin.

 On the road my friend lives on there stands an older looking building known as Lorane Rebekah Lodge. People used to rent the rooms of the building; now it holds memories of people who chose to get away and spend time in the little town of Lorane. The chimney that emerges from the roof helps me imagine a group by the fireplace enjoying the warmth; as well as each others company.

As we departed Cottage Grove we paused for a moment to wander around the Cottage Grove Historic District. The trees that line the roads barely held onto their autumn colored leaves but they did; for our final fall holiday. Each old building that stands there have a multitude of special memories within them; which gives them character specific to that town.

This unique tree is planted in the yard right across the street from his house. It stands tall through each season. The moss growing all over it gives me the idea that it has been standing there for a long time. So long its grown something to accompany it throughout its years. The sign reading "Applegate Trail 1846" is quite misleading as I've yet to be able to find the trail; It'll be quite special once I do.

The Fire Station; on the same road as the Lodge, and the tree. The Lorane Fire Station is small, and quiet on this chilly Thursday afternoon. The American flag stands tall in front matching the intense red of the building. My friend told me stories of events they have out front throughout the year such as fireworks, and ice cream socials. Nearly every season the families of the community have a multitude of opportunities to gather in this shared community space.

Here we saw this "MAIN ST. MARKET" sign in Cottage Grove. The bold fliers sitting in the shop window caught my eye. The multiple colored paneling on both buildings gives the photo great contrast. The entirety of the Downtown Historic District of Cottage Grove had small quirks; similar to people. We should be embracing these differences throughout the Holiday season; until others begin to realize this; I'll be sticking to appreciating it throughout my everyday life, similar to the way I do with these photos.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week Seven: November Eleventh

Week Five: Environmental - Sergeant Major Watts